A Day in the Life of an occupational and physical therapist in Arizona.
My name is Rumy Petkov, an occupational therapist in Arizona. Together with a team, we provide in-home physical therapy and occupational therapy services services primarily for the elderly community around the regions of Phoenix, Scottsdale, Glendale, and the surroundings. And over the years we have been able to help many patients with geriatric and orthopedic physical conditions, stroke conditions, etc start moving again!
As an occupational therapist based in Phoenix for the past years, I have come across many of the elderly around the region facing a lot of confusion about where to go to treat their ailments. They often don't know whether to go to a hospital, a physical therapy clinic, or have an occupational or physical therapist come to their own home for treatment. This dilemma often leads to them not getting the care they need and their condition worsening. Many senior citizens around the region are in need of a physical therapist, but many don't realize they need one. A consultation with a local physical therapist might go a long way.
To give one better clarity, here are three common procedures that may be implemented when a therapist visits your home to treat you:
- Designing and implementing personalized treatment plans that may include exercises, stretches, manual therapy, and other techniques to improve mobility, reduce pain, and enhance overall physical function.
- Regularly monitor progress and adjust the treatment plan as necessary to ensure the best possible outcomes for the patient.
- Additionally, physical therapists must educate patients about their condition and guide how to prevent future injuries or recurrences of their symptoms.
Here is what my routine for one particular day looks like as an occupational therapist in Scottsdale:
- The day started by waking up early in the morning and getting ready for the day ahead. I checked my schedule for the day and made a list of the clients I needed to visit.
- My first client of the day was an elderly woman in Phoenix who had a stroke a few months ago. I have been helping her with her daily activities such as dressing, grooming, and eating. I also work with her on exercises that improve her range of motion and strength. After spending an hour with her, I head over to my next client's house.
- My next client was a man, who lives nearby my first client here in Phoenix South who has a spinal cord injury. I work with him on improving his mobility and helping him with his daily activities. I also teach him exercises that he can do on his own to improve his strength and range of motion.
- After spending a few hours with him, I take a lunch break and head back to my office to catch up on paperwork and documentation. I spend about an hour or so completing my notes and updating my clients' progress reports.
- In the afternoon, I visited a new client aged about 55 from Scottsdale who has developed back pain. As it was his first day, we got to introduce ourselves and took the time to assess his condition. I explained to him his condition and explained some of the procedures we would be working on in the next few days. I worked with him on exercises that would improve his posture and alleviate his pain. I also taught him techniques for managing his pain at home.
- My last client of the day was an elderly man from Gilbert who has a foot and ankle sprain. I have worked with him for a few sessions now, and there has been encouraging improvement in his mobility and he has been able to regain strength in his ankle. After checking on his progress, I taught him a few more techniques for managing pain and preventing further injury. After spending a few hours with him, I head back to my office to complete any remaining paperwork and prepare for the next day.
Overall, my day as an in-home occupational therapist in Arizona is busy and fulfilling. I enjoy working with my clients and helping them improve their quality of life.
Some of our working principles at Petkov Bodywork Therapy:
- We understand that aging can come with its challenges. As we age, our bodies undergo several changes that can affect our physical function and mobility. These changes can make it difficult for us to perform simple tasks like walking or even standing up from a chair. This is where we come in.
- Good communication, empathy, and a commitment to ongoing learning and professional development are essential qualities for a successful physical and occupational therapist. Our goal at Petkov Bodywork Therapy, Phoenix is to provide personalized care and attention to each patient we work with. We believe that every patient deserves individualized treatment plans that are tailored to their specific needs and goals. We take the time to get to know our patients, understand their conditions, and develop treatment plans that will help them achieve their desired outcomes.
- One of the things that set us apart from other physical therapy providers is our focus on in-home care. We understand that traveling to a clinic or hospital can be challenging for some patients, especially those who are dealing with mobility issues. That's why we bring our services directly to you. Our team of experienced therapists will visit you at home, providing you with the care you need in the comfort of your own space.
- We specialize in working with elderly patients facing conditions that start to affect their physical function and mobility. Some of the common conditions we treat include arthritis, osteoporosis, joint replacements, stroke recovery, balance disorders, and more.
We believe that everyone deserves access to quality healthcare services regardless of age or condition. That's why we strive to make our services as affordable as possible while maintaining the highest standards of care. Thank you for considering us as your trusted partner for all your physical therapy needs. We look forward to working with you and helping you start moving again.